Hands Across Mathews is a non-denominational, non-judgmental organization established in 1986 by Mathews residents and several churches. We work closely with the Mathews Ministerial Association. All of the Programs are staffed entirely by volunteers. Our Programs provide the following services:
- Food Program: This Program is focused on providing food to residents who are unable to purchase an adequate supply of food for their family.
- Clothing and Furniture Program: This Program provides clothing, household items and furniture to residents who are unable to purchase or obtain them from other charities.
- Fresh Start Program: The Fresh Start Program is sponsored by Hands Across Mathews and is supported by community churches, civic groups and grants. It provides 25 students with new clothing for school. Mathews Social Service Department provides school supplies.
- Fuel and Utility Bills Program: This Program provides assistance to clients in meeting their fuel and utility bills. We expect each client to work with their suppliers and church community before requesting assistance from Hands Across Mathews.
- Rent and Mortgage Assistance Program: This Program provides assistance to clients in meeting rent of mortgage payments. Again we expect the client to work with their bank or landlord before requesting assistance from Hands Across Mathews.
- Home Repairs: This Program reviews requests for minor home repairs or ramp additions. We evaluate the request, estimate the cost of labor and material and locate volunteers or a local contractor to complete the work.